Thursday, July 5, 2018

Paying for Peace

Crossways, my mind sat bone still, night still, freeze tag still, hiding from the rapist still
Yet it careened forward at breakneck speed, concerned about the beheadings
Twenty-seven to be exact, one of them an ice cream truck driver, imagine that
You broke into my zone and said a penny for your thoughts and punched me in the shoulder
I screamed in your face about how a penny wouldn’t even buy an ice cream sandwich wrapper
Much less the life of a decapitated Good Humor man, you scurried away distraught, confused
I had tried to buy peace last Saturday night with gold coin and whatever sex I could muster
But my dalliance stared into my eyes and laughed, whispering in my ear before leaving
“Peace is free for those who give away love and understanding for free.”
It was good thing, because I had been saving my love and understanding for someone deserving

10 comments:

  1. Well this is an interesting take on the prompt. Made me smile. Always nice to see you, Corey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a believer in peace being free. Free like 'freedom' in Janis Joplin's song, "ME and Bobby McGee,"
    "… Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
    Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free, no no."
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is anyone really deserving? You make me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some fascinating images brought into play here. Buying peace with a gold coin is so clever, given how many such coins bought the opposite. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this disenchanted voice is very on point for the post postmodern culture in which we unwittingly find ourselves. Peace does not come at any price, especially for those who try to force it, buy it with gold or a handshake and a silver smile.

    PS. I'm sad you're playing in the garden while I'm away.. I suppose that when I'm back you'll be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you were gone...the biggest reason for playing in the garden is your beautiful voice. My intention is to stick it out for a while, I always love it around here. Hope your trip has been fantastic!!!

      Delete
  6. Your dalliance was rather wise. Good take on the prompt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haaa...you are so clever. Thanks man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can always count on you to take me to a place I've never been, and relish the experience.

    ReplyDelete