Monday, April 8, 2013

Layers



Confounded by the last trip of her tongue and dart of her eyes
I stretched what I thought to be my rock solid beliefs
Folded them under and tucked them neatly into my back pocket
Eventually they would go through the wash and I would forget

"Could you stop by the store and grab me a pack of smokes?"
"Sure thing love."
"Move closer and I'll nibble your ear, turn off that damned TV."
"Sure thing love."

I have seen beauty in a thousand forms, swallowed my longing
But when comfort meets desire, they will cancel each other
Unless you continue to look into the eyes of love and believe
That the last layer, the one that was the first, is still the best

10 comments:

  1. I don't know a woman who would not be totally overwhelmed by this admission of enduring love. That comfort need not cancel out desire, but add a lasting quality to it is a wonderful thought.. and every one who is loved wants to know that the first layer remembered and saved till last is still the best.

    This is swoon-worthy stuff, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Comfort meets desire" -- I would say that is pretty darned good love!! Well penned, Corey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is wonderful, written by a man who knows what real love is. Thank you, kiddo, this poem is heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, to be loved like that! This is wonderful, Corey, and you're not so bad yourself.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words Corey specially this ~

    Unless you continue to look into the eyes of love and believe
    That the last layer, the one that was the first, is still the best


    Hope you are doing well ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last layer, the one that was first... we choose to focus there or not, don't we? Enduring love is a choice. Comfort and desire are too, I suppose. Love poem magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's romantic, but it doesn't sink to the sappy. Heartfelt and well-built.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya,
    Like the bit of dialogue in the middle of that poetic sandwich.
    Just thinking about those beliefs clogging of the washing machine eventually :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh this is true, so true. comfort and desire cancelling one another unless you do something about it, damn straight! love it, Corey. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makes my heart flutter, so romantic... it would work really well with my prompt over at Poetry Jam, too... http://poetryjaam.blogspot.com/2013/04/whats-in-your-pocket.html

    ReplyDelete