Monday, May 13, 2019

Spiders


You drank cranberry juice like it was going out of style
I chewed Fruit Stripe gum and bitched how the flavor faded too fast
We were afraid of spiders and the dark, but more of spiders
The dark was only terrifying because it made us burn like sparklers

You grew into a beauty, too soft, too smart, too desired
I grew awkwardly,  like a sunflower, head too big, more weed than flower
We still said "hi" in the hallway, but your future was big screen, Technicolor
Mine faded like the stars in a New York City sky, destined for mediocrity

You were a beautiful young mother, long term plans shelved, hidden regret
I came out of the military strong, changed in ways that helped, harmed
We had no idea what the fates had in store but we still dreamed, moved forward
Time moves with liquid speed, not missing the cracks or crevices, flowing silently

You were standing at Grant and Green, your aura engaging, hair resplendent
I hadn’t seen you in twenty years, my god how the memories came flooding back
We sipped Cape Cods and talked about being afraid of spiders, but not the darkness
The darkness was the only place we could find each other again, burning and sparking

7 comments:

  1. Possibly the sweetest way to use the insect motif I could imagine. The dark isn't all bad when you have good company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fantastic, Corey. Just love this. I feel like I can see it all... such a classic tale. And so many years later, not afraid of the dark, embracing it still. It's time that's the mystery. Really good one, Babyluv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Corey! This is such a wonderful story. I love the circle, the way the got to live (and more) their lives and still find each other again, to burn and spark, in a dark that became more blanket than monster.

    I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is excellent. I often wonder about special people in my life, and how meeting them again would feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this... I really feel the passing of a life, the lost of opportunities and how life never really live up to our expectations.... to some extents we are left with only our phobias, and they become dear to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A singularly beautiful poem. The way you tied the ends together is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The darkness was the only place
    we could find each other again,
    burning and sparking

    It is such a blessing to be able to counter what could be things that put brakes in our progress. More so to share with someone dear to one's heart!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete