Sunday, July 8, 2018

Our Bravest Face

We saw the glade, we strolled the hollow, at five o’clock I brushed your hair
You sent shivers up my spine and talked of the milk white skin of my thigh
And we laughed about the Mister and seriousness of political love and polemic lust
And how difficult it is to listen to the worlds conventions and not lose hope

Companion loved, companion lost
You were rolled in oats and honey 
And I whinnied and pranced about
The connection the slimmest and strongest filament 
Umbilical nourishment and telepathic rapture
You fucking left me without a shore

We ate the berries, we bathed in lavender, at five o’clock you brushed my hair
You told me you were moving on, we cried pools of memories into your lap
And we laughed about the Mister and the seriousness or mortal thought and heavens trap 
And how difficult the night would be without the crickets

Companion loved, companion lost
I was awkward, lithe and funny
And you laughed and rolled about
The connection being severed by a razors edge
What will I do without my sunshine
I fucking left you without a moor

11 comments:

  1. This is just plain beautiful, my friend. One of your best... it has the headiness of a fine wine, matured with age but romantic tomfoolery unsullied.
    I love the 'fucking left me/you' lines the best.. how silly we are to lose our shores and our moorings..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SA...had to make it good since it was the first of your prompts in a while. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a mixture of rage and delight that makes this piece real and heart-grabbing. The times were good, even great, and that makes the loss devastating... and the memories, the sort of sweet that makes you tremble.

    Someone must return the crickets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anger and sweet memories dance through this one... When the anger cools the memories cut a little deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the humor and the playful tone. But what caught me most is the fantastic word-craft. Great write.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a pony the best part of the day is having oats. This sounded like a perpetual feed, never wishing to be born and face life. But the cord was cut, life went on. More good times but they weren't lasting. Unbelievable, there was no happy ending.
    Reading this was like reading a book that won't be put down.
    When Mrs. Jim and I were dating she received a very good job offer from a NJ hospital. I put in my bid and she accepted, we've been married for a long time since.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredibly potent, Corey! You describe feelings of love and rage that throb inside one's heart beautifully 💜

    ReplyDelete
  8. A truly beautiful write, pure poetry and wordsmithery at its very best.
    Your words have left an ache in me - how difficult when the cord is cut and we are left without a mooring and a shore a haven inaccessible.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete